The way I’ve built my tilesets, I have to make the level, then put down all the outlines on the architecture (don’t ask). What this means is that a level has to be entirely finished gameplay-wise before I put all the outlines down, since changing anything after that involves two steps, which is kind of a pain in the ass, but oh well.
So I finished a level, and I tested it to make sure I didn’t screw it up. After testing it, I realized that it wasn’t exactly clear what I wanted the players to do, so I added in some spikes to direct them the way I wanted them to go. (That is called “The player is always wrong and I am awesome so do it my way,” and I’m sure there’s another lesson in there somewhere too). Then I added in the outlines. That was two days ago.
Then I was running through the entire game again today (since apparently I had nothing better to do) and I realized that (a) I’d made one entire passage pointless with those spikes, and (b) I’d made the level impossible to complete. So…I had to rearrange the architecture significantly, THEN redo the outlines. It probably only took ten minutes, but it was still a face-palm moment.
So, today’s lesson that I will probably never learn: Don’t change anything after testing if you don’t plan on testing it again! You will inevitably screw up the entire level. If you’re me.
Progress today: Finished another level (up to 9!), researched saving to INIs, ate a sandwich.